Yard Waste Disposal
In compliance with State law, disposal of grass, leaves and garden waste must be handled separately for disposal in a composting landfill.
Yard waste will be collected during the months of April through November of each year. The bags and/or bundles of brush should be placed at curbside by 6:00am on the designated pick-up day. Residents will have the choice of selecting either a volume-based (sticker) option or an unlimited subscription option.
- Volume-based Collection Program ($1.95/sticker*): Each can or bag must have a prepaid yard waste sticker attached in order to be collected.
- Optional Seasonal Collection Program ($125.00/year*): No prepaid sticker is required under this program. Residents are billed annually for this program for an unlimited amount of yard waste collection each week.
*Prices are for year 1 of the contract (September 1, 2013 – August 31, 2014).
Yard Waste Stickers are sold at the following locations:
- Ace Hardware – 3101 Dundee Road; Northbrook, IL 60062
- Ace Hardware – 1941 Cherry Lane; Northbrook, IL 60062
- Advanced Disposal – 2800 Shermer Road; Northbrook, IL 60062
- Dominick’s – 4125 Dundee Road; Northbrook, IL 60062
- Jewel Foods – 2775 Pfingsten Road; Northbrook, IL 60062
- Sunset Foods – 1127 Church Street; Northbrook, IL 60062
- Reds Garden Center – 3460 Dundee Road; Northbrook, IL 60062
- Village Hall – 1225 Cedar Lane; Northbrook, IL 60062
- Walgreens – 2871 Pfingsten Road; Glenview, IL 60026
Properly Prepared Yard Waste
Yard waste must be placed in either metal or plastic cans no larger than 33-gallons or in brown Kraft paper bags (available at many retail outlets). In addition, residents may bundle landscape waste. Each bundle shall be secured with either string or twine and may not exceed four (4) feet in length or two (2) feet in diameter. Individual branches cannot exceed four (4) inches in diameter. In all cases, individual cans, bags or bundles may weigh no more than 50 lbs. If doing the sticker program, each can, bag or bundle must have a yard waste sticker attached.
Composting Yard Waste
Single-family units may utilize compost piles, which must be located in side yards or backyards at the farthest distance possible from residential structures. This distance must be a minimum of five (5) feet from the property line. The compost pile shall not contain any household material (organic material) and shall be maintained in such a manner as to induce rapid decomposition and prevent offensive odors.
Find updates on the Village website here.