» Food Waste Collection
- In the USA, organic waste is the second highest component of landfills, which are the largest source of methane emissions
- In the USA, 30-40% of the food supply is wasted, equaling more than 20 pounds of food per person per month (See article below »)
- Northbrook now offers composting through Advanced Disposal. Advanced Compost Flier. This is a great option for easy curbside pickup of food waste and yard waste, year-round.
Source: World Food Day USA
Diverting food waste from the garbage is the next step after standard recycling. Brown bins have been used as collection bins for food waste that divert discards for composting and keep the mess out of landfills. Go Green Northbrook advocated for food waste pick up in the newest contract with Advanced Disposal.
Northbrook residents can select a year-round subscription for a 35-gallon ($125/year) or 65-gallon ($140/year) container. With the subscription, Advanced Disposal will collect unlimited yard waste and compost weekly from April 1 – November 30 and every other week from December 1 – March 31. Collections take place on the same day as normal refuse collection. Subscribers can place overflow yard waste and organics in plastic/metal containers or Kraft-type bags for no extra charge. No prepaid disposal stickers are required for subscribers.
What to Compost
Acceptable Compost Items – ’Organics’:
- Fruits & vegetables (cooked or raw) – including unpainted holiday pumpkins
- Dairy & eggs including egg shells – no liquids
- Breads, grains, pasta, and cereal (cooked or raw, non-meat sauce is okay)
- Coffee grounds & filters, teabags
- Food-soiled paper bags, newspaper, paper towels, pizza boxes, and uncoated paper plates