Countries in Europe, one by one, are banning single use plastic. So has Canada. So has Oregon. Here in Illinois, we are far behind. So, what can you do? Here are a few simple ways you can make a difference.
- Call or write people in government who represent you, local and state. Tell them how you feel. They will only act if they feel enough votes are at stake.
- Call or write corporate headquarters. Tell them how you feel. They will only act if they feel enough dollars are at stake.
- Keep reusable bags in your car and take them with you as you shop. If you must take a bag from a store, take paper.
- Tell your wait staff, “No straws please” as soon as you sit down, before you find yourself with a table full of straws.
- Find a fun metal water bottle that you enjoy having with you. That way you will skip using a plastic one.
- Have reusable morning coffee mugs handy. Skip the disposable ones.
- Terracycle at Northbrook Village Hall, The train station and the YMCA and we will recycle it with Terracycle.
One Person Makes a Difference